Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Parasites?


Something has been making its way through every person living in our house here in Lugazi. Literally everyday someone has been sick.  Some people are sick for several days too.  It hit me yesterday and is still doing a number on my stomach.  Upside? I guess I’ll lose a few pounds… only to gain it all back when we go to London on the way home.  The downside apart from feeling horrible, is that I also feel useless and that I’m not doing any service.  One girl had to be rushed to the hospital in Kampala at 1:30 am and has found that she has a parasite.  Let’s all hope I don’t have one either.  This coming Tuesday we are having a grand opening for the MUSANA jewelry store we have been working on and the women we have been working with.  We have been teaching them dance/exercise classes a few times a week in the mornings and they love it.  Seeing their smiles and laughter is priceless.  These women are beautiful and inspiring.  They barely make enough money to make ends meet and they are still so incredibly happy with their lives.  I have gained a huge appreciation for the women here in Africa.  They maintain their houses (which is way more difficult and taxing than in America), they cook, raise their children in this poverty stricken land and they work.  Not to mention, most of their husbands are either abusive, leave for long periods of time, leave altogether, pass away or don’t have jobs.  Therefore, these women are left to fend for themselves and their many children.  They are so strong in so many different ways and inspire me to be better and more grateful for everything I have.  On Monday a few of us worked at the Immunization Days in Mukono.  We vaccinated 400 children 5 years and younger.  What an experience.  Wrestling screaming kids for eight hours is not exactly the most relaxing thing, but I felt like I actually made a difference.  We immunized them for measles, polio, vitamin A, and gave de-worming pills.  It was awesome to also see these parents taking responsibility and bringing their children in.  It was free, so why wouldn’t they? Culturally, many Africans may be too lazy, too late, forgetful, or simply don’t believe in medications.  I would post pictures, but since uploading photos takes a huge chunk of memory on our internet stick, I won’t be able to post until I get wi-fi or until I get home.  Sorry about that.  Even though sticking out 6 weeks may be the hardest thing I’ve ever done, I am so grateful for this experience.  I have learned so much about the Ugandan culture and so much about myself.  I am so blessed to have been born into a family who loves each other and respects each other.  I’m also so blessed for the places I have grown up, my religion and the education I have received.  So I challenge you to take a step back and think about your blessings…. It’s amazing isn’t it? We often get so caught up in what is upsetting us in the moment, but we forget to realize how lucky we truly are.  I am guilty of doing the same and I probably will do the same when I get back to America, but boy how I have learned a huge lesson by living here.  

2 comments:

  1. We are so proud of you. We are praying that you get better quickly and can resume your activities. Your comments were very thoughtful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete